Recipes----wait! what???

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Time for Thankfulness

Today I'm 70 years old. I'm very, very thankful for that. A counselor I was seeing when I was 40 said she was amazed I hadn't been a teen suicide. But that was 30 years ago. Now I'm sober for 30 years and a few months, which is something I'm extremely grateful for as well. My last drink was on May 5th of 1985.

I'm extremely thankful for my beautiful little apartment. It's giving me so much joy. As you've probably read in previous posts, I've furnished my little place through items from craigslist and for that I'm extremely grateful, too. It's very cozy and I have everything I could possibly need and then some.

I'm thankful for my family and the fine people they've become. At times I think they became that in spite of me. Even in my drinking days, my heart belonged to my kids and still does. And to my grandkids, too. I've always wanted for them what I didn't have, but not in the material sense. I always tried to provide for them the best I could, even though sometimes that wasn't very good. But I always tried to give them good values, a humor that would get them through tough times, consideration for others, and lots of love they knew I had for them.

I'm thankful for all my friends at Aeclectic Tarot forum where I've been a member for about 10 years or so. I've learned so much there. In my opinion, it's the world's greatest resource for learning divination of all kinds. It's a peaceful, respectful discussion forum with moderators who work hard to keep it that way without appearing to rule with an iron hand. The skill level of members ranges from those who aren't familiar with divination at all to scholars with decades if experience and vast knowledge.

I just became the new editor of our apartment complex newsletter, the Sand Pebble. I saw the "wanted" sign for a few weeks, always deciding to just see if anyone else would take it. They didn't so I finally caved. I'm happy and excited about it. I've always been a writer so heaven knows there wasn't any reason not to volunteer for the job. It will get me out and about and not so much of a hermit like I tend to be. This is definitely something new to be thankful about.

I'm extremely thankful for my little Gypsy, who is such good company and so much fun. She's so tiny that she's got some little cat toys because most regular dog toys are bigger than she is. She won't get any bigger. She's 18 months old and has now started putting on some weight. She has a little teddy bear that squeaks and she seems to think it's her baby or something since it makes a little noise. If I accidentally step on "the baby" she runs and hides it in the bed or somewhere. If I walk by it, she moves it out of my way. Every night she brings it to bed. When I say, "Okay, time for nite nite"and go to the bedroom, she goes and finds the little bear and brings it onto the bed. She's also got a tiny little stuffed Minnie Mouse that she always wants me to play catch with her with. I throw it and she always brings it back. I never taught her that. She just did it on her own. Awhile back I got her a little toy with a long body and I guess that one is the "red-headed step-child" because she just beats the heck out of it, shaking it and chewing it. She doesn't want me to throw "the baby" most of the time. If she loses Minnie for awhile and gets desperate for a game of catch, she'll break down finally and have me throw Baby a time or two, but mostly it's Minnie.

In general, I'm just thankful for everything in my life today. Even for the challenges. There are always difficulties in life, some of them very serious, but they can help to mold us into a stronger and more caring, contented person if we just do our best to understand that we're the ones who bring whatever our lives contain for better or worse in a high percentage of instances. If what we're becoming isn't good, we can change our ways and go in a better direction. As Maya Angelou said, "We do the best we can. When we know better, we do better." I believe that's true of myself and everyone around me. That doesn't mean I can excuse and condone inequality, cruelty, or crime. It just means I don't try to change anyone but me and I detour around people and situations that would drag me backwards in my own journey through life. I don't put them down or take the posture that I'm better or more enlightened than they are. I just detour with compassion, knowing they haven't gone in a direction that will make their lives fulfilling and peaceful.yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment