Recipes----wait! what???

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

OK So I'm a Late Bloomer. Better Late than Nipped in the Bud from the Gate

After seeing a sign on the manager's office door for several weeks saying there was a need for a new editor for the Sand Pebble, which is the newsletter for the Boardwalk complex of senior apartments, I finally gave in and said I'd take the job. My first thought was "Meh, I've worked all my life. This sounds like work. I don't think I'll volunteer" but every time I went downstairs, there was that same old flyer, saying they needed an editor.

I decided it would be good for me to take the job because it will get me out of the apartment and doing things that could be really enjoyable. There are many, many activities and trips offered, for one thing, and I haven't joined into any of them since I moved here in August. I have a good phone with a great camera in it, so taking photos of the activities and trips will be no problem and if it's something I can't take Gypsy along on, my daughter will come "babysit" her. I couldn't find any really good excuse to justify continuing to NOT take the job.

The retiring editor spent some time this afternoon filling me in on what I'll need to know and gave me some pointers when she dropped off the files. all of which I appreciate very much. Now I'll be cruising Craigslist again to find a free file cabinet. I have a drawer I'm keeping the files in for now, but a file cabinet, or at the very least a file box, will be a lot more efficient than just a bunch of file folders and clippings floating around in a drawer.

Now I'm looking for some good free word processing type software that will be easy to lay out the pages and photos with. Back when I edited the entertainment magazine, we had to use a typewriter and graph paper, cutting out the copy in pieces and actually pasting it onto a big sheet of graph paper and pasting the photos into the places by hand. This will be so much easier if I can find the right computer software. If anyone who reads this blog knows of good free software, I hope they'll leave me a comment to let me know.






No comments:

Post a Comment