Recipes----wait! what???

Saturday, December 19, 2015

That Poor Little Bird

Quite a few years ago, I lived in an old hotel that had been made into apartments. I lived on the third floor. One night, a noise was keeping me awake. I could hear a chirping noise from the shorter building right beside my apartments. The chirping sounded like a little bird and it was the time of year when little birds start learning to fly. I thought it must be a fledgling that had fallen from a nest in one of the trees outside and it was cold and chirping for its mother. It would chirp for awhile and then stop but always, once again, that pathetic distressed chirping would start again. Finally, I just got really upset for that poor little bird. I knew I couldn't do anything for it, even though if I'd been able to figure out a way to do it, I'd have tried to rescue it. It just went  on and on.

 That  chirping was so pathetic and loud. Obviously it was really in dire straits. After awhile, I started wishing a stray cat would go up there and put it out of its misery since obviously the mother wasn't going to rescue it. I couldn't think of anything else that could help the poor thing. Since it was doomed, I just hoped a cat would manage to get up there and at least it wouldn't suffer anymore.

After about three hours of this, I started praying for a cat to come do the evil deed so that poor bird would just shut up. Every time it stopped for a little while, just when I started to drift off to sleep, it would start up again. As I was praying for the little bird, asking God to just let it die so it wouldn't be suffering so much.,

God must have nudged me or something because the thought came to me "Wait a minute. That chirping stops for exactly the same length of time each time and then resumes. It must not be a little bird. It must be something else." I still couldn't get to sleep because the chirping sound was so loud but in awhile it finally stopped.

The next day I found out what the chirping was. It wasn't a bird. Some neighborhood kids had discovered that if they hit the button for the crosswalk twice in rapid succession, it would make the chirping sound. The chirping sound was an intentional function for the blind so that it would let them know when not to cross the street. But in addition to having learned how to make the chirping alarm work, the kids had also been jumping up and kicking the button with their feet instead of pushing it with their hand. That made the chirping alarm stay permanently chirping after awhile. Eventually the city fixed it so it wasn't stuck on and peace reined at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment